What time is it now? It’s the most wonderful time of the year! And that means that this month I don’t want to travel – all I want is homemade food and Christmas movies. No matter where we go next and what cuisine we try, my husband and I admire our moms’ tasty meals, so I do my best to create something that would be a part of our family dinner. That is why today I tried to combine his love for Italian food and my meat-free lifestyle and create something we both would enjoy. In this fast life spending hours preparing the meal sounds like not fun at all. I am sharing my meat-free lasagna recipe with you: it is super easy to make and it’s so yum! This lasagna won’t take you more time than, for example, buying precooked one in the store. It’s an easy way to impress the ones you love with a delicious meal! You can also freeze it and defrost any time you like.
The ingredients I used can be easily substituted and you can’t go wrong adding more mushrooms or using less squash.
So this is what I used:
– lasagna sheets;
– Safflower, avocado and coconut oil (or any oil that you use);
– 1 large bell pepper;
– 3 small zucchinis;
– 1 medium onion;
– Fresh garlic;
– 300 g of white mushrooms;
– ½ cup of white wine (optional);
– 425g of Ricotta cheese;
– 142g of shredded parmesan;
– 1 whole egg;
– marinara sauce (canned or homemade);
– salt, peppers, fresh parsley.
And now as easy as it is:
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2) Chop all the vegetables and pour some oil into a very large hot pot on. (I cooked on medium heat)
3) Stir and cook onion and garlic for one minute, add zucchini. In 2 minutes add peppers, stir and cook all together for 1 more minute. Add mushrooms to the pot.
4) After about a minute, add spices and wine and stir one more time. Cook all together about 2 more minutes and let it rest.
5) Cook your lasagna sheets using the direction on the box. (I usually cook them for 5 minutes instead of 8 and finish in the oven)
6) In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, one egg, half of your parmesan, salt and pepper.
7) Spread a small amount of veggies on baking pan. Follow the “lasagna noodles – ricotta cheese – veggies – marinara sauce” steps. Finish with a layer of parmesan.
8) Cover the baking dish with foil and place it in preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
Bon appetite! 😉
Don’t forget: mozzarella in between the layers is yum; spinach adds very good flavor, you can easily substitute any vegetable for it; you can freeze lasagna and reheat it anytime you want – still tastes good. And nothing pairs this dish better than a glass of good wine;)
Homemade low fat marinara sauce: I sautéed onion and garlic with a little bit of oil, added chopped tomatoes with some herbs. I stirred occasionally and finished with some fresh basil. Once tomatoes break down and reduce the juice – it’s ready!